Charles George VA Medical Center - Asheville, NC
VA Beneficiary Travel - Charles George VA Medical Center
Monday, August 6, the VA will be making all beneficiary travel payments to Veterans in the form of a Treasury check or electronic funds transfer. This change will be in effect until Dec. 31. After DEC. 31 all travel reimbursements will be made by EFT. Veterans who want or need help updating their contact information should call (828) 298-7911, ext. 5019. Veterans will still have to sign a claim...for beneficiary travel reimbursement with the Beneficiary Travel Office. For more information Veterans should talk to the supervisor of Enrollment and Eligibility during their next visit or call that office at (828) 298-7911, ext. 3580.
Notices about this change to the beneficiary travel program have been posted around the Medical Center, mailed to Veterans, and handed out to Veterans since March. These changes are being made to better serve Veterans. Electronic transfers are safer than cash disbursements, save Veterans and VA time and resources, and are consistent with processes already in use by other Federal agencies like the Social Security Administration and Department of Defense. VA expects this process will reduce fraud and duplicate payments, eliminate lost checks and encourage Veterans to update their contact information.
Click here to read the FACT/ASHEVILLE/documents/travelchanges.pdf SHEET about these changes.
Click here to print a copy of the electronic deposit form.
Click here to read the letter to Veterans explaining the changes.
Click here to read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).
There are many factors determining travel eligibility and it is important Veterans with questions get accurate information. Veterans may call 828.298.7911 Ext. 5613 with questions that are not answered on our website.
If you meet the criteria below, you may be eligible for mileage reimbursement or special mode transport in association with obtaining VA health care services.
You Qualify If:
1. you have a service-connected (SC) rating of 30 percent or more, or
2. you are traveling for treatment of a SC condition, or
3. you receive a VA pension, or
4. your income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate, or
5. you are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension examination
You Qualify for Special Mode Transportation (Ambulance, Wheelchair van etc.) if:
1. your medical condition requires an ambulance or a specially equipped van as determined by a VA clinician, and
2. you meet one of the eligibility criteria in 1 through 4 above, and
3. the travel is pre-authorized (authorization is not required for emergencies if a delay would be hazardous to life or health)
General Travel ...........................................……………...$0.415 (41.5 cents) per mile
Scheduled appointments qualify for round-trip mileage. Unscheduled visits may be limited to return mileage only.
Deductible (effective January 9, 2009) ................. $3.00 one-way ($6.00 round trip)
Deductible requirement is subject to a monthly cap of $18.00. Upon reaching $18.00 in deductibles or 6 one-way (3 round) trips, whichever comes first, travel payments made for the balance of that particular month will be free of deductible charges.
Waiver of Deductible:
A waiver of the deductible will be provided if you are eligible for travel and you:
1. are in receipt of a VA pension or;
2. are a NSC veteran and your previous year’s income does not exceed, or your projected current calendar year’s income, in the year of application will not exceed the applicable VA pension rate, or
3. are a SC veteran and your previous year’s income does not exceed, or your projected current calendar year’s income, in the year of application will not exceed the applicable national means test income threshold or,
4. are traveling for a scheduled compensation and pension exam
Links to More Information about VA Beneficiary Travel
- Beneficiary Travel Benefits (FS16-2)
- Beneficiary Travel Brochure (May10) (Web, 62kb)
- Beneficiary Travel FAQs
- Beneficiary Travel Poster - Don't Travel down the Wrong Road (PDF, 682kb)