Charles George VA Medical Center - Asheville, NC
Current Operating Status
As of Thursday, January 24, 2019 5:35 PM EST
For your safety, the Charles George VA Medical Center has made temporary changes to our visitor policy due to increase of severe illness from the flu. Our primary goal is to provide the best quality of care in an environment that is safe for our veterans. To protect them, at times we must manage their exposure to illnesses that are easily spread, like the flu.
We carefully monitor flu activity levels in our hospital and the community. When certain thresholds are met, we must take action to halt the spread and limit the number of visitors allowed in our patient areas.
Visitors, especially children, may not know they have the flu. They may not be showing flu symptoms and can easily pass the flu on to others. Your loved one is in the hospital to get better and can get very sick from visitors who may only have mild flu symptoms.
For the Safety of Our Patients, Visitors and Staff
Beginning Thursday, January 24: No children under the age of 12 may come into the hospital or clinics at this time.
Anyone with the following symptoms within the last 24 hours must not visit or accompany patients in the hospital:
- Body Aches
- Sore Throat
- Runny Nose
- Nasal Congestion
- DiarrheaWe ask that only one person accompany patients to clinic visits.Thank you for your patience and understanding during this flu season.
- Patients going to the clinic with any of these symptoms must wear a mask.
- Visit only if you are immediate family or the patients’ caregiver and are not sick or been symptom-free for 24 hours. Exceptions granted for critical situations or clergy, however visitors will need to wear a mask when in the hospital or clinic.
- Emergency: 911
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1)
- 24 Hour Nurse: 1-800-932-6408
- Change Your Appointment: 828-298-7911 (option 3)
- Media Inquiries: 828-298-7911 x4446
- National Veterans Helpline: 1-800-507-4571
- Patient Locator: 828-298-7911
- Pharmacy Refill: 828-298-7911 (option 2)
- Staff Locator: Not Available
- Telephone Care: 1-800-932-6408