Charles George VA Medical Center - Asheville, NC
Volunteer or Donate
The Charles George VAMC depends on the good will of our benefactors and volunteers who wish to give something back to America’s heroes.
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the Medical Center. Volunteers assist in raising our Veteran's hearts and spirits. Volunteers perform a number of services, closely matching their skills, abilities and availabilities to the needs of the Medical Center. Please note: Voluntary Service has a 100 hour requirement for anyone seeking to volunteer at the Charles George VA Medical Center. Thetimeline to become a volunteer can take up to 4 weeks for processing and fingerprint clearance.
- Read the Volunteer Handbook and complete the forms located at the end of the handbook.
- Fill out the Volunteer Application (Page 1) and (Page 2).
- Read the privacy training and sign the following document. (Privacy Form)
- If submitting the completed information via email, (VHAASHVoluntary@va.gov) all forms must be signed and scanned with signature prior to submission.
- Applications and forms may also be submitted via regular mail, or hand deliver to the Voluntary Service office at the Charles George VAMC.
If the application packet is emailed or mailed, applicants should expect a call from Voluntary Service within five business days from receipt of all completed forms. If you have not heard from our office after five business days you may call 828-299-2514.
To make a monetary tax deductible contribution, using a credit card, you may click on the E-donate button located on the right side of this page. For donations via personal check, please make payable to the Charles George VA Medical Center noting the account preference in the memo line of the check. Please mail to the following address:
Charles George VAMC
ATTN: Voluntary Service
1100 Tunnel Road
This is the current needs list for the Charles George VA Medical Center:
- I-Pods and headphones
- Bi-monthly Memorial Service - sponsorship is needed to underwrite costs associated with program publication, refreshments, and memorial roses.
- New magazines (3-months or less from date of publication)
- Firm heart pillows
- Catheter bag covers
- “FOREVER” stamps
- Sponsorship for Community outings to restaurants & special events (CLC)
- Variety of musical CD’s for Palliative Care
- Coffee, cream, and sugar to support the outpatient waiting areas
- Personal listening devices like Ipods for diversional therapeutic needs
- Itune Giftcards for music downloads
- Giftcards for restaurants for community outings
- Fingernail/toenail clippers
- Travel sized toiletries for men and women
- Denture adhesive and denture tablets
- 2 liter sodas for recreational activities
- Non-perishable prepackaged snack foods.
If you or your organization wishes to support one of these items, please mark your check designating in the memo line: VAMC-Asheville and which item(s) you are designated your money to purchase.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Voluntary Service at:
Listed below are some of the current volunteer opportunities. For referral to worksite supervisor for potential placement, individual must have qualified skills, interest, competencies, and availability. If you have special skills to offer, please let us know so we can discuss how you can best use your talents toward service to Veterans.
Serve coffee in outpatient clinic waiting areas and/or the Community Living Center
Patient Escort Volunteers
Provide assistance with pushing patients in wheelchairs to their scheduled appointments. Open hours.
Patient Friendly Visitor
Assist and support nursing staff on inpatient units providing amenities and special attention to patients as needed. Open hours.
Recreational Activity Volunteers
Assist under the supervision of Recreation Therapy to provide diversional activities, such as movies, games, gardening, and current events discussion.
Service Clerical Support
Multiple office needs in administrative and clinics areas.
Wheelchair Inventory Management
Assists with distributing wheelchairs to Veterans who have outpatient clinic appointments.
Drivers are needed to transport eligible Veterans to and from the Medical Center or Community Based Outpatient Clinics for scheduled VA outpatient appointments. To fill this role you must have a current driver's license, automobile insurance and pass a physical exam.
To Become a volunteer driver start here:
Complete and submit the following
Please submit information via email, (VHAASHVoluntary@va.gov), regular mail, or hand deliver the information to the Voluntary Service office at the Charles George VAMC. All documents requiring signatures must be signed and scanned if submitting via email.
Applicants should expect a contact by Voluntary Service within 5 business days from receipt of all completed forms. If you have not heard from our office after 5 business days, you may call 828.299.2514 for more information.
Home Respite Program
Volunteers visit with home-bound Veterans, within their own county, to provide a period of rest and relaxation for the caregiver. The volunteer will come to the home to provide companionship to the Veteran. The volunteer will not perform any household chores or any hands-on medical care. This service provides the caregiver a much needed break to renew their energy and spirit, helping to support the family‘s ability to care for the Veteran in a familiar home setting.